9.08.2011

first day of school

Today was Jude's first day of pre-school! After much debate we decided to enroll him for 2 days a week for half a day, mostly for the social interaction with other children. Plus, we love the school and especially the director. We've been preparing for this day all summer. Jude and I have been reading books about school, watching his favorite Barney episode about school, and talking about school for weeks. I guess all of the preparing paid off, because, as we pulled into the parking lot this morning, he was kicking his little blue Converse with excitement. He exclaimed, "School!" and "Happy!" as I opened the car door to get him out. When we got near the door to enter the building, he said, "I walk." I set him down, handed him his Lightning McQueen lunchbox and rolling Thomas backpack, and he carried them all by himself. He looked like a little man!

When we reached his classroom, he walked right in the door and never turned back, not even to say goodbye. It may sound sad to some moms, but I was so relieved and proud that he felt so secure and confident. We have come a long way, and separation anxiety seems to be a thing of the past (at least for Jude; I, on the other hand, still get a little anxious : ).

I was able to snap this photo when we entered the building, but he was definitely too excited to focus on the camera. However, you can still see that he is grinning from ear to ear.


We've been reading a book called School about a little family of mice who go off to school and the baby mouse, Bitty, sneaks away to go to school with her brothers and sisters, even though she's too little. In the end, Mama Mouse comes to school and picks up Bitty to bring her back home. Jude always reiterates this part of the story and says, "back home with Mommy?" and then hugs me. I'm already looking forward to our "reunion" when I pick him up today. I can't wait to hear about his day!

No comments:

Post a Comment